Bitumen PG grade
Bitumen PG grade or Bitumen Performance grade:
Bitumen is known as the most important component of road pavement and asphalt, and if this bitumen does not have proper quality and performance, it will have a direct effect on the quality of asphalt. Recently, instead of producing viscosity grade bitumen and penetration grade bitumen, bitumen PG is used in asphalt production.
In bitumen PG, its functional characteristics has different characteristics against cracking and deformation due to cold and heat and fatigue and predicting the hardening of the bitumen at the production site and in the factory, It is taken into consideration when preparing asphalt. Also, in bitumen PG ,the amount of traffic and the passage of time and speed of loading on the road are considered.
What is Performance Grade Bitumen?
Ovrally, Performance Grade Bitumen or bitumen PG is graded based on its performance that is indicated in different temperatures.
For example, according to bitumen PG’s performance in cold or hot temperatures, they are classified that are called performance grade bitumen or bitumen PG.
Grading asphalt binder with using the bitumen PG and selecting it is to make sure that the binder has got sutaible properties needed for environmental situation, it’ss going to be used in.
Difference between bitumen PG and other bitumens:
The difference between bitumen PG and other bitumens is in the actual conditions used in it, so that for the optimal use of bitumen, different atmospheric conditions are taken into account, and especially the environmental climate is special.
the grading of road construction bitumen is based on the prediction of its performance on the road, so that it is classified into different groups based on the properties of the bitumen in real conditions, such as types of weather, which are based on the precise behavior of its functional properties.
For example, the degree of penetration and the viscosity value of the penetration and plasticity tests do not affect the performance of bitumen, while in functional bitumen (PG), the physical properties of engineering principles are directly related to the performance of bitumen and the test It is done at a standard and specific temperature.
Classifition of bitumen PG:
bitumen PG is graded based on performance at different temperatures, so that the highest and lowest asphalt temperatures are already calculated and the best bitumen at that temperature is suggested.
In this method, bitumen is classified based on performance characteristics in different weather conditions so that it can limit the permanent change of bitumen and its failure due to fatigue and cracking at low temperatures. For example, it is designed for a bitumen in average weather conditions for seven consecutive days from 52 degrees Celsius above zero to 40 degrees Celsius below zero, it can be used at this temperature. In this category, any type of bitumen with two positive numbers A negative number is defined in which a positive number corresponds to the average of seven consecutive days of the highest pavement temperature in the summer season and a negative number is the minimum pavement temperature in seven consecutive days of the winter season.
Also, Classifition of bitumen PG is shown in below
Applications of Bitumen PG:
- PG52-28 is used for paving ,both new construction and road care and also in both dense-graded and open graded Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA). This product could also be used for sealing cracks in paving and the edges. PG52-28 is used for spraying in places like bridge deck and pavement protective membrane with fabrics too.
- Also,PG58-22 is used in paving for both dense-graded and open graded Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) and in road construction and spraying and crack sealing applications.
- PG58-28 is for paving dense-graded and open graded Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) and also in road construction and spraying and crack sealing applications. This grade is widely used in very cold regions.
- PG58-34 is sutaible for the higher elevation roadways. This grade is a paving asphalt cement used for the production of Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA). It also be used for sealing the edges of new to old paving and cracks sealing.
- PG58-40 is used for high elevation locations. This grade of bitumen PG is paving asphalt for the production of Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA). It can be used for sealing purposes and crack treating as well.
- PG64-22 is sutaible for paving for both new construction and pavement treatment projects and in both dense-graded and open graded Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) and others. It can be used for sealing purposes and crack treating too.
- PG64-28 is used for road construction and paving new and pave care projects and in both dense-graded and open-graded HMA. Other uses for spraying applications for bridge deck and pavement protective layer with fabrics. PG64-28 is used for the locations with low elevation.
- PG70-22 is used for areas with high traffic volume and for paving asphalt cement used for the production of Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA). 8. PG70-22 is a good choice for sealing the edges of pavement and for crack sealing.
Application of bitumen PG on base of their Classifition:
Best resistance in thermal cracking
- PG 64 -22
- PG 76 -22
- PG 64 -28
- PG 58 -34
Best resistance against rutting
- PG 82 -22
- PG 76 -28
- PG 70 -28
- PG 76 -22
Best for toll roads (high Volume)
- PG 64-22
Best for toll booth (high volume and slow traffic)
- PG 70-22
Best for rest area (high volume and standing traffic)
- PG 76-22